HUSTEP 2019-2020 Applications now open!

Get the brochure here

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to apply for HUSTEP, students must:

  1. Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program at an overseas university that has concluded a student exchange agreement with Hokkaido University.
  2. Be enrolled and pay tuition fees at their home university as a full-time student during the entire period of study in Japan.
  3. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study at their own university prior to arrival in Japan.
  4. Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent.
  5. Be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5.
  6. Be able to arrive by late September or first week of April.

Number of Students Accepted:

Approximately 50 students for each course.

Please note:

There is a screening process and NOT all students who apply will be accepted. Japanese language ability is not required to participate in HUSTEP. Those students whose main focus is studying Japanese language and are majoring in Japanese Studies should consider applying to the Japanese Language and Cultural Studies Program (JLCSP) instead of HUSTEP.

There are a limited number of scholarships available so most students will have to cover their own costs. Although the cost of living in Japan varies for each individual, it will cost about 100,000 yen per month. Thus, students should have enough money saved up to pay for one year of living costs or make other financial arrangements before coming to Japan. Students should be clear that HUSTEP is strictly a study program.

Even if students receive a scholarship, the first payment will be made one month after arrival. Students must bring money to pay for their dormitory fee and living costs for their first month.

Students interested in HUSTEP should first consult with an academic advisor at their home institution. On approval by the advisor, applicants may obtain the necessary forms from the International Office (or its equivalent) at their home institution, complete the forms, and submit them to Hokkaido University through the home institution’s International Office. Do not send applications directly to Hokkaido University.